Thursday, August 16, 2007

Big Hit

The Kahlua Pork went off without a hitch. Only a little bit leftover for Hubs to take to work today. It is the easiest damn thing to make. If anyone has been to Hawaii and been to a luau, you would know that the pork that they smoke is soooo yummy. I can't remember how many luaus we went to when we lived in Hawaii, but the pork was definitely always the highlight (and the dancing men! lol). So when I was craving it one day, I searched for the recipe and found it on All Recipes, a recipe site I use VERY frequently. This is Choppzs's recipe in a nutshell. If you need the technical recipe without the little add libs added by myself, then you should go look it up! lol

Get yourself a 3 to 6 pound pig ass at the grocery store. I mean Pork Butt. lol (It may be quite embarrassing if you go up to the meat dept. man and say that, not that I would know from experience! lol) You can also substitute pork shoulder for pork butt.

Get yourself some sea salt (It calls for Hawaiian sea salt, but that stuff is hell to find so I just go with the good cheap stuff from the store. Although I am sure the Hawaiian sea salt may make a difference) and some liquid smoke. 1 bottle of smoke is sufficient, and just enough salt to smother the pork with.

Take your pork home. Jab a fork all over in the pork like you imagine yourself doing to your eyes when the kids get on your nerves really bad.

Take a good handful of sea salt and smother the pork with it. Rub it in well. Imagine you are giving your significant other a good massage.

Shake some liquid smoke all over your pork. Rub it in well too! Double massage.

Put your pork in your slow cooker and turn it on low, and let it cook for a good 10 to 12 hours. I believe the pork feels like I would feel if I could be sitting on a beach, basking in the sun without any kids!

I usually put it in before I go to bed at night. Let it cook on low all night. Then in the morning, I turn it up to medium for another 4 or 5 hours. Usually after that it is just falling off the bone and ready to shred up. I shred it, turn it back on low, and just let it do it's thing before it's time to chow! Some recommend draining all the liquid, but heck no, it keeps it nice and moist.

And at first I thought I should add some sort of liquid(aka water)to the pork while it cooks, but DON'T! The fat and drippings make a lovely amount of liquid to cook the pork in. All that fat and stuff just melts right off.

So that's it. Choppzs's Kahlua pork. It's very easy, and all you do is get out your rice cooker and make some sticky rice to go with it. And there's your meal. No pans, no oven. Very easy cleanup. And you let the slow cooker do all the work. I highly recommend trying this.

OK, so yes, Crazy got a mouthful of yummy liquid soap yesterday. He decided now, that it's OK to bite. Never in his little life has he even attempted to bite, until now. He bit Baby Boy's hand. And I didn't even know it till Baby Boy screamed, and Crazy came out of hiding and said "No Mama I bit him" after I attempted to interrogate Girly about what had happened. Luckily no marks were there, so it couldn't have been too bad, but regardless of how hard he did it, or what, biting will not be tolerated. So I took him to the bathroom, had him pull up his stool to the sink, had him open wide, and took a squirt full of soap on my hand and smothered it on his tongue. Ohhhh, he didn't like that. I had him sit for about a minute or 2 with the soap in his mouth. After a couple gaggings and multiple bubbles escaping from his mouth, I had him spit, and rinse out his mouth. Then, he was sent to his room for about 20 minutes. After that, we did the usual talk. I explained that biting is bad, and if he ever does it again he will get more soap. He kissed brother and said sorry.

Holy crap, I know kids will be kids. But I totally put the blame of this on that little girl across the street. Her and her bratty, biting mouth turned my kid into a biter. Damn it all! lol

10 comments:

Amie said...

That sounds good, I'm always looking for good slow cooker recipes. I always use allrecipes, you can find anything there, it's awesome.

All our boys have bit once, and all have got in enough trouble that they didn't do it again!

for a different kind of girl said...

minus that whole stabbing all over with a fork part, I'd willingly allow myself to be prepped for this Kahlua pork business!

kimmyk said...

When Adam was little he would swear. Not bite but just swear and then he'd get wicked soap. [aka liquid soap] I'd take out dish detergent and let him pick his color. Yellow [Sunlight] was just "yellow soap" but the green palmolive? That was called WICKED SOAP. When Adam would cuss [he gets that from his father] I'd put the yellow and the green out and I'd tell him "Today you get the wicked soap because you said bad words"....To this day-Adam remembers the wicked soap. I'd wet my finger and just run it across the top of the bottle and then wet my finger again to pretty much rinse it all off, but not ALL of it and then I'd put it across his front teeth. HA! He hated it. He'd gag and tell me he was gonna "frow up". It worked.

But you know what? Last week coming home from football practice he told me his team didn't know what the hell they were doin. I looked at him in the rear view mirror and said "did you just cuss?" and he laughed. I might need to get the wicked soap out again now that I think about it.

Me said...

Yuuummmo! Okay Choppzs Ray you need to get rich and send us some loot :) lol.

And I'm all about soap in the mouth. I'll be doing that the minute Sissy pulls that stunt.

Melissa said...

That food sounds so yummy. I might have to try that real soon!

Anonymous said...

I remember getting dishsoap on my toothbrush when I was little... the taste would last for days... ah, the memories...

When Little Serenity bit me... once... I bit him back... never bit me again... :)

ALRO said...

so there's not Kahlua in the pork?
I was waiting for the booze!!!

Still sounds yummy!

Nature Girl said...

I am soooooo going to have to try that recipe. Simple and yummy sounding. I love anything that there's only ONE pan to clean up afterwards!

Ahhhh the soap days. I don't miss those. I bet he learned his lesson.

eyes_only4him said...

um, thats a lot o* rubbing and stabbing, my kinda meal to *ix..

Jamie said...

I too frequently use allrecipes. I must admit that your version is much more entertaining than any recipe I've read on their site! That recipe sounds delicious and I just may have to try it someday!

We used to use vinegar in the mouth and my kids hated it! I remember getting soap a time or two as a kid...not fun. Hopefully he learned his lesson;)