Wednesday, May 06, 2009

What a Long, Strange Trip Its Been

I need to ask everyone to keep my Pookey in your thoughts and prayers. My baby has cancer. She has been a part of our lives for 12 years.

You know... I once gave Pookey away..that's right. Shortly after we got her, Girly was born. Pookey wasn't keen on sharing the attention so she resorted to pissing and shitting all over the floors. I myself, was not to keen on having to constantly clean up poo and pee while trying to be a first time Momma to a screaming, crying baby. So away Pookey went, to our neighbors. lol Bad idea. I saw her everyday, and started to miss her. Within a week or so, I made Hubs go to our neighbors and ask for her back. Lucky for me, I had a wonderful husband who was willing to embarrass himself for me, and these people were nice enough to give her back. I felt like an idiot, but hey what can you do? She belonged with me. I needed her to be a part of my life, and she needed me to be a part of hers.

How she got her name is a funny story too. For the life of us, we couldn't agree on a name. We were joking around and said "How about Pookey?" Yah right, no way would we name our dog Pookey. Then, we called Hub's mom and told her about our new puppy. "So what is her name? Pookey?" Wow, that's 2 Pookeys. Then later that night, we were watching tv, and the movie New Jack City was on. In the movie there is a character with the name of Pookey. We both knew then that 3rd time was a charm. So Pookey it was. Funny huh? And you don't know how many times I had to correct people on the spelling of her name. It's not Pooki. It's not Pooky. It is POOKEY. lol

Pookey used to be brat. For at least 3 years she refused to stop peeing on the floors. When we would take her out on the leash to go potty, she'd take at least a half hour to go. She didn't like the leash. She would jump fences and run off on a daily basis. She was the Houdini of kennel escapes. When we would leave the house, she would literally tear things off the wall. She would, and still does, refuse to let us trim her nails. She screams like someone is murdering her when we try.

Pookey has been through more then most people I know. She's lived in 4 different states, and moved to 9 different houses. She endured 30 days of quarantine in Hawaii, and had to deal with kennels and deployments just like I did. She's flown on more planes then most people. She's had to deal with 3 little brother dogs (we've had other dogs come and go) and 1 cat. She's been a trooper each time a new baby has come into the home (well after she learned from Girly).

Pookey loves..

~Food. Any food.Cold food. Hot food. Nasty half eaten, slobbered on food from the kids. She'll eat anything.
~Tennis balls. Big ones. Small ones. It doesn't matter.
~Chasing rabbits, cats and small children. lol. Long story.
~Playing fetch with her Daddy.
~To have her belly rubbed.
~To sleep in the sun.
~Her treats. I have to spell it out when I am talking about them because if she hears the word she goes crazy.
~Potato peels. She's glued to me when I am making mashed potatoes.
~Pumpkin carving at Halloween. She'll sit there and eat the guts as we carve pumpkins.
~Christmas. She loves opening gifts. She gets all up in the kid's stuff when it's their birthdays. lol
~Her kids. She definitely loves her kids.
~Her brother Poppy. She's the only other dog he wont growl at! lol

So, to sum it up, I love my dog. She is my baby. And I only hope I have made her life a good one, and she has no regrets about choosing me as her Momma. I truly believe it wasn't me that chose her, but her who chose to adopt us! I love you Pook.

Me and Pookey in June 1997 right after we got her!

1997

2002 on Halloween Eve.

2004 at Christmas

Me and Pookey on Christmas 2008

Pookey on Christmas 2008 (with her new tennis ball)

May 5, 2009


"My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
" Auther unknown

2 comments:

Nature Girl said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Choppz...it's so hard to lose a beloved pet and so hard to see them sick and worry if they're suffering. I'll be sending good thoughts your way. Hugs.
Stacie

kimmyk said...

I love this quote. So true!

You two had a good life together...cherish your memories.