Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11

As I was reminded by Hubs to put up our flag this morning, I sat and thought of what we were doing on 9-11-01. We were stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC and I remember waking up to the phone ringing. It was my friend Lorelei telling me that the Twin Towers and the Pentagon had been hit. She told me to go and turn on the TV. I remember sitting there, watching in shock as I saw the 2nd plane hit the twin towers. I didn't realize I was watching a replay of the hit, as they were showing it over and over again. I just cried and cried. I couldn't seem to stop. I got off the phone with my friend and immediately called my husband. I kept thinking, oh God, we are going to war and he is going to have to leave us. Hubs told me the base was in lockdown and no one was allowed to come or go. He told me to sit still at the house and not to leave. I recall him saying (this isn't a quote as I don't remember his exact words) something like "We are really going to f*ck someone up this time and I can't wait to go and get some payback. This is what my job is about, and this is why I joined the Marine Corps." I remember the eerie feeling as I watched people roam around like zombies as debri floated around, and the screams of panic as the towers crumbled. I was so afraid of being stationed at the largest East coast Base, because it was speculated that the terrorists might try to hit us next. The day went by so slowly, as I sat and stared at the TV the whole time. The only words I can think of is sadness. Extreme sadness. I remember holding Girly Girl, who at the time was only 3, and thinking how horrible it would be to lose her. To lose Hubs. How easily it could have been us. How this event would change our lives forever. And it has. I have been on and off with the TV today because I can only take watching so much of the coverage. I want to remember, but don't, all at the same time. That day, will forever be etched in my memory. I pray for those who lost their lives and their families. I also pray for an end to terrorism.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I hear you loud and clear.

I haven't turned the tv on at all today. I just don't think I can.


big hugs, and tell your husband I say Semper Fi!

Me said...

Like Carrie, I haven't turned on the TV much either since I got home. I did pray with everyone else for the moment of silence at 8:46am. Every time I see footage I get so damn sad and STILL can't believe it happened. STILL seems so unreal. I pray for everyone who lost someone on that day and for everyone still fighting for our country because of that day.

eyes_only4him said...

i just watched nick jr all day cause I am sick of hearing about it all day..

:)

Unknown said...

We had mass panic in Chicago to exit the city and I can't even imagine how it was in NYC.

Ben said...

I feel for everybody who lost loved ones on that day. The CBS 9/11 broadcast really hit home.

Emotions range about this day, but the loss of truly innocent American lives is always paramount.

I wish it never happened.

Spikey1 said...

Amen!