Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Learn to Listen

Today was baby boy's audiology exam. He had a complete hearing screening. This is because his speech is very delayed (still) and he will be starting preschool in the Fall. His pediatrician wanted to make sure he did not have a hearing problem before we started him in on therapy. We are happy to say his hearing is excellent. He passed with flying colors. Now the question is..why is his speech so delayed? I guess there is no definite answer as to why, the audiologist just said some children are delayed, and they tend to benefit greatly from speech therapy. When they work with someone who knows how to teach them, they thrive. So, insurance has given us the green light to get him started, it is covered. Now we just have to get the list of therapists in our area and get him enrolled. I am excited to see how this pans out, and I am also excited to hear him speak properly. It's amazing to hear him talk now, he speaks mostly in vowels. If you ask him to say "stand", he will pronounce it like "and". He knows his ABC's and 123's, but when said it is in his own little language. He'll say 1, but then 2 is "ooohhh" and 3 is "eeeee". But he knows them which I am happy about. Right now, he gets very frustrated when we don't understand him. He will repeat things several times over until one of us finally just gives up. Either that, or he will literally drag us over to whatever it is he is talking about. I am excited. I can't wait to see how he does. He is the most excited, energetic little boy, and I know he will be ecstatic when he speaks properly and we get excited and can understand him!

1 comment:

Nature Girl said...

He is such a little doll! so cute! I'm excited for him too. Just think how excited HE'LL be when he doesnt' have to repeat himself over and over..I bet that has to be frustrating for him, I know it is for me when people (my kids) don't listen the first time around! LOL...
Yay Baby Boy!
Stacie