Friday, December 08, 2006

The Secret is Out!

Well, I knew eventually Girly would find out, but I still wasn't prepared for the questions. Tonight she was watching a show on t.v. and it was about the toothfairy and how there really wasn't one. After the show, she came up and asked me straight out if the Toothfairy was real. Yikes. Hmmmm, how do I answer this. "Go ask your dad!" Yep, that's what came out. She then went to Daddy and he avoided the question at all costs. "What were you watching?", "What station was it on?" "Who were the characters?" etc, etc. She huffed and puffed and came back at me. "Mom, so is it true or not? Is the Toothfairy real, or do the parents put the money under the pillow?" Crap. By the look on my face, she knew. "So You really are the Toothfairy?. You and Daddy put the money under my pillow??" Shit. How do I say it? Shit, Shit, Shit. After a minute or two of contemplating how to say it, I finally came straight out and said "Yes, that's right, there really isn't a Toothfairy." She then shot back, "So does that mean Santa isn't real too?" Shit, Shit, Shit again. No avoiding her now. She was on to us. "Yes, honey, that is also true." Her response was a spew of questions, and words we could barely understand. "So You and Daddy are Santa? You and Daddy put the presents under the tree? It was you guys that took bites out of the cookies on Christmas Eve? Where did all my Christmas letters go if you didn't send them really to Santa? Where are all my teeth? Why did you lie to me? Why do all the Christmas songs sing about Santa if he isn't real?" and so on and so on. We tried to tell her about our experiences with finding out about Santa, and how it happened. We tried to explain to her that it's a part of growing older. It's a tradition. It's something that we do because it is fun and how she now has to keep it a secret so her brother's can have fun with Christmas and Santa. Man, it was rough. Especially since she cried and cried. I don't ever recall taking it so badly, but I remember being disappointed. I also tried to reassure her that Christmas isn't just about Santa. That we are celebrating the birth of Jesus. That Christmas isn't just about presents. It's about family and traditions, and joy and fun. But damnitt it all, it still sucks. Now we really have to watch our backs on Christmas Eve, cause I have a feeling she's gonna stay up as long as possible just to see for herself that we really do bring out the presents. And I also have to find a better hiding spot for them because I opened my big mouth and told her about how Aunty Beth and I use to go snooping for our presents in Grammy's closets. I am SO stupid!!! LOL

4 comments:

Amie said...

aww, what a tough transition.

Anonymous said...

oh, she cried? that is so sad! my first question was about the tooth fairy too, then it went from there...

Me said...

Damn look at all these posts I missed. WTF??? I swear these weren't all here yesterday when I checked....LOL.

Mom told me about Olivia finding out. What a bummer for her. I don't remember taking it so badly either. I remember how I found out but I didn't question every single thing. I just remember thinking "oh bummer, okay" and that was all. Maybe it was worse than that and I just blocked it out from my memory...lol.

She'll be fine. She's getting older now and she'll be all about wanting makeup, boys and other things that we don't want her to want til she's 40 :)

Love ya!

Jewl said...

Man, that sucks. I wanted to cry! We just taught Em about Santa this year, I want it to last as long as possible. I know it's about Jesus but Santa brings a bit if magic to it.
I feel badly for you both too..Your baby is getting bigger!! :(