Friday, August 04, 2006

Don't you hate it when...

You know what really grinds my gears?? What really pisses me off? When everyone assumes that just because I am a stay at home mom, that I have it made. I will start off by saying that I love my kids to death. I would do anything and everything for them. I love staying at home with them (99% of the time). I enjoy spending time with them. But come on. I am a normal human being that craves adult interaction, time alone and sometimes, yes sometimes, I even want some peace and quiet. Why is it that people think I have it so easy?? And when I tell people that the the kids are driving me insane and I need some time, they act like I have no right to want that and even laugh it off like it's funny. Oh gosh, I stay at home with my kids. Isn't that just like being home by myself, eating bon bons and watching soaps all day?? I am like any other person with a "normal" job. I have 3 co-workers. And as with any co-workers, sometimes they get on my nerves. Sometimes they talk to much and you want to tell them just to shut up. Sometimes they whine about things that I have no control over. I also have to do my co-workers jobs for them because they can't always get it right or just need some help. But with a "normal" job, you have a boss to go to. To complain to. To go to with any problems you may be having with your co-workers. For me, I don't have anyone to complain too. And if I do complain, it's somehow not justified. I talk baby talk all day long. When I am not talking baby talk, I am trying to translate what the Boy is talking about. That entails saying and pointing to things multiple times and asking "Is that what you want?" or "Show me what you want." And when I am talking normally, in an adult voice it is usually to the oldest child and that talk is usually "No, you can't do that", or "I don't care", or "Would you please just leave me alone for an hour while the boys are sleeping?". Even people with "normal" jobs get a lunch break throughout their day AND they get to go home at the end of the day and get away from their co-workers. I am lucky if I can eat while I am changing Baby Boy's poopy diaper, trying to get the Crazy Boy out of the fridge and get him something to eat that he will actually eat, and all the while listening to Girly tattling on her brothers because of something they are doing. And my biggest pet peeve?? When people say things like "Well at least you don't have to get up and go to work every morning", or "At least you get to stay home all day." No I don't have to get up to go to work every morning because I am never off from work. I never get to leave work. I guess what I am saying is even if I am so lucky as to be able to stay at home with my kids, that doesn't mean that I have it made. That doesn't mean that what I do at home isn't hard. That doesn't mean that I don't have the right to feel swamped and frazzled. And just because I may sit in my pajamas all day, doesn't mean I haven't done anything. Usually that means just the opposite. That I have done so much that I haven't had time to take a shower and get dressed. Or possibly because I haven't gotten to all the laundry yet, and all my clothes are dirty!!! ;)

7 comments:

Amie said...

I agree, I worked a pretty stressful job before Isaac was born yet I find that having small children is more demanding than that job ever was. It's not that I don't love being home, but let's call a spade a spade...its hard work!

Me said...

I know being a SAHM is hard work, but I'd trade that over "regular" work anyday! I'm so envious of those who are able to do that!!!!

Who pushed your buttons?

Ben said...

I think that's one of the toughest gigs around IMHO.

Sounds like a career-oriented yuppie to me who pushed your buttons.

Cheers

Jamie said...

I hear you loud and clear. While I love being able to stay home with my children sometimes I just want to run away! Ithink we SAHM's sometimes have it harder than anyone else for all those reasons you listed plus some.

Unknown said...

*stands and applauds*

Unknown said...

PREACH ON SISTER!!! I am working up a post with a lot of these points in it. Lately I feel greatly unfulfilled even though I'm doing "the most important job" there is. Why is that?

eyes_only4him said...

hmm, did someone piss you off?..hhaha

i know all to well what your saying, being a stay at home mom is a pain in the ass, but it is a job that needs to be done..i have been doing ti 6 years now, and just went to work PART TIME before I started killing people.

I alwyas hated people either thinkg your lazy, or really super rich cuz your home..

people are retards honey..