Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What to do?

Has anyone ever had a friend that just wont shut up? Someone that is constantly bitching about things, and it is ALWAYS someone else's fault? Someone who thinks their child is an angel, but in reality the little shit is the anti-Christ? Someone who blames everything their child does on the school and the other kids in the school? Someone who considers their husband their hero, but somehow doesn't see that he treats her like crap on the sidewalk?

What the hell do you say to these people when all you hear all day is their bitching, moaning and complaining? Do you tell them that their kid is f*cked up and needs to be on meds? Do you tell them that their parenting style sucks and they let the kid get away with murder, and that is why he acts up? Do you tell them that their husband is a piece of sh*t and doesn't pay any attention to the kid and that may also be why he acts out? Do you tell them that no, every husband does not make their wife a daily list of chores to do, and no, not every husband tells their wife that they are fat and wont let them have another baby till they lose 30 lbs.?

What do you tell someone when you consider them a good friend, but their line of thinking is completely and utterly off?? What do you do when you are so sick of hearing it that you don't even want to talk to them anymore?


Update:

I guess my biggest question is do I say something to this person, or do I just keep my mouth shut and listen?
Honestly, I find myself distancing myself only because I am tired of hearing it, but I don't want to give the impression that I am not a friend or uncaring. If anyone knows me, they know I am very opinionated, but tend to keep it to myself. This drives me nuts. I once heard something somewhere that stated if you are quiet and keep everything to yourself you are depriving yourself of your real emotions. You cannot help how others feel. So in others words, I take that as I am suppressing my own feelings and such to avoid hurting others. So by not voicing how I truly feel in situations, it is only hurting me. Hmmmm, I don't know.

7 comments:

tommie said...

I call those toxic relationships, and it is hard to be around them. I really have to limit my time with them. I call her my project friend (like on Clueless)...guess I am not much help.

oh yeah, linked to you from TKW..

happy wednesday

Me said...

Yah I know who you're talking about. Sounds like someone else we know huh? (ie, our other sissy!). I'm no help either as I don't know what I'd do if I had someone like that. She needs a strong wake up call, that's for sure!

Unknown said...

I'm with Tommiea...toxic indeed. Good luck with it and distance yourself...maybe you and Beth can sit her down and have an intervention to tell her what an idiot she is. I mean, you know, since it seems to be common knowledge.

Jamie said...

Hmmm...I wish I had some words of wisdom. I too, keep opinions to myself, but I find lately with my raging hormones and emotions one of these days I'll explode and let people know how I really feel. Just grab some of my hormones and go for a ride;) haha

Anyway, these type of people are difficult to be around, and you really need to limit your time around them so it doesn't bring you down.

Marisa said...

I don't do toxic relationships. If the person is a close friend, I tell them that they need to wake up -- I don't minch words. I don't care if I am liked or not.

If it isn't a close friend, then I just stay away, plain and simple.

I hope you figure out what is best for you. (((hugs)))

kimmyk said...

I don't have friendships like that anymore. I find I can't be nice after a while and instead of hurting them with my words and then feeling like shit for what I just said I think it's easier to just be quiet and move on.

But yeah, I totally agree with you.

ALRO said...

Me? I wouldn't hold back. I'd tell my friend exactly what's on my mind in a tactful way... and if tact seems to be lost on my friend, I use "blunt"..

Truth is never wrong.. not matter how much it hurts sometimes...