Monday, July 31, 2006

Just trying to get through the day

Reading blogs, I came to Bossy's page. She had written about how she didn't know how to keep the kids entertained without TV. Some people commented with great advice and different things for the kids to do besides watch the tube. Honestly, I sat there reading these comments and STILL wondered how they do it. I feel horrible. My TV is literally on all day long. Not always being watched mind you, but always on in the background.

I have a 6 mth old, a 2 yr. old, and an 8 yr. old. Now I am all for going outside to play. But there are several things that aren't so great about that.

1. It is so FRICKEN hot here. The last 2 days, it has only been around 98 and that to us is extremely nice. We are lucky if it stays below 110. So if the kids aren't in the pool (which then I have to supervise because 2 yr. old could drown), there is no outside play for us for more then 2 hours.

2. You cannot let a 2 yr. old outside to play by themselves. It just doesn't happen that way. Which means, that even if they can go outside, I cannot get anything else accomplished while they are entertaining themselves.

3. I have to drag a screaming 6 month old outside to watch the 2 yr. old and 8 yr. old because they must be supervised. Which means I cannot get anything accomplished, PLUS I have to try to calm a screaming, crying baby.

4. We live in the desert. Our yard is small, brown and dead. It's not so much fun when you are afraid if you let your kids play in the yard, they may fall and hurt themselves when they are impaled by sharp, dead, weedy grass. Or better yet they trip and fall in a hole that magically keeps being re-dug up by some unknown creature that lives in our yard. Yah, that would be great, a sprained ankle from falling in this humungous hole. Plus we have all kinds of nice, little creatures that take up residency at our home here in the desert. I don't like the thought of the kids playing out there and having to make a trip to the ER. Especially since the 2 yr. old can't tell me something bit him. Oh sure he tries, but we don't always understand him!! LOL

Anyways, to cut this short, I am just trying to think of ways to keep the kids occupied without the tube. Also without driving me mad. It is hard to keep an infant, toddler and pre-teen all occupied at the same time without having to do 3 separate activities.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Do they like when you read to them? Keep in mind this comes from a homeschooling mother. But, my kids love to be read to. Finger paint? We don't go outside too often either- mostly because it is hot here too. Seems they're outside more when daddy is home. Soon enough school will start again! Do you have any local playgroups or mommy groups you could join?

Choppzs said...

I have tried the reading thing. I have even enrolled them in a reading book club. Girly loves to read and be read too, but gets bored after a couple chapters. Crazy Boy isn't entertained with reading what-so-ever. He will look at a couple picture books, then get bored and want to run away. I was thinking of getting some finger paints though. Even getting some big poster boards or something and hanging them up on the wall for them to go at it. I don't know of any local playgroups or anything like that here. I have been taking the kids every Tuesday to the community center where they have activities and such for the kids. This month is reptiles. Last Tues. they had a balloon artist. So that occupies our Tuesdays!! lol Yep, school starts soon, so at that point Girly will be taken care of. Then I just have to get Crazy Boy used to the fact that she is going to be gone most of the day and keep him occupied!! lol

So far today, I have only had the tv on for about an hour. The kids and I are ready to go for a walk down to the desert garden.

eyes_only4him said...

AMEN...

U can not leave a two year old outside alone..no way..so what do we do?..hopefully u will get some good answers.

and its been so dang hot here..right now as i type this its 105 outside..and i live in MN for Christ sake:)

Me said...

Oh boy.....I don't feel your pain yet, but I know I will at some point. All I have to worry about is a toddler.

Linda said...

We have the same problem. Especially having a newborn in the house, I can't devote all my time to Alyssa, so the TV helps!

It sucks b/c she whines and nags for the TV all the time. I usually have to have it off or she will start begging!

Good luck and I will be reading through for suggestions too!

Amie said...

Our boys are buddies, they play with each other and entertain each other all day long. I bet when your boys are older they will play with each other a lot.