Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I Felt It...I Really Felt It

I experienced my first earthquake today. We have lived her just over 3 yrs. and although there have been a couple, I have never felt them before today.

I was standing in the kitchen, making the kids some mac and cheese. I was at the sink, looking out the window at Girly, who was out digging up something or other and the floor, literally, started to sway. My first reaction was that I was having a dizzy spell. You know, where you feel faint and it feels like your body starts to sway? But as the swaying continued, I realized that this was an earthquake. I just kind of stood there with my hands braced on the sink, waiting to see what the hell was happening. I glanced at my clock on the cupboard at it said 11:45 am. When I saw the blinds on the kitchen window start to sway....that's when I knew it wasn't me going nuts. I looked out at Girly to make sure she was ok, and she didn't seem to be bothered in the least. Crazy was playing video games and ran into the kitchen proclaiming that Girly's tv was moving and her closet was shaking. Baby Boy didn't budge from his seat on the couch. To busy watching Wow Wow Wubzy I guess. lol.

It was absolutely nuts. Nothing like you see in the movies where the glass is rattling, or the books are falling off the shelves or anything like that. This literally felt like I was on a boat, where the waves are rocking you up and down and back and forth. It did that at least 3 or 4 times.

I called Hubs and he says, "Pretty cool huh?"

Uh hell no it wasn't cool. That was scary as shit! lol

10 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

i had no idea there was an earthquake today...it hasnt hit the news yet..

damn..

good thing there was no rattleing or bustin glass, that would not be good..

Me said...

Yikes! Glad you're a'okay though.

Anonymous said...

Glad your all OK!

My first earthquake my children were still toddlers and we were all still living in an apartment building in a Seattle suburb. I was in the bathroom going tinkle, my twin sister was playing with the kids in the kitchen, I had no clue what was going on... I came out of the bathroom scream, "Tam, do you feel that fat ho jumping up and down on the second floor"? Needless to say Tami was already under the table with the kids.

Second earthquake I was at work on the 4th floor. we had a huge fish tank in the lobby as I watched the fish tank slosh back and forth spilling water on the floor I thought, "Strange".
That was a lovely mess.

Earthquakes are such an odd sensation.

Hopefully your quakes will be done with now :)

kimmyk said...

glad you're all okay.
how scary yet exciting all rolled into one. if the books and shit would have fallen or ya know stuff off the walls, then totally scary.

glad you lived to tell the tale.
lets hope there aren't anymore in your future.

Melissa said...

I remember being in earthquakes when I lived in CA. Scary!

ALRO said...

I'm with Hubs on this... It'd be pretty cool!
It's pretty cool until something breaks... then it's not cool.

Jamie said...

Oh wow! That's crazy...not sure I'd think that's too cool either;)

I Am Boymom said...

Wow!! Scary...I have never been in an earthquake! Glad you are all safe and that it was a minor ordeal. Funny how some kids roll with things and others pick up on a butterfly waking up in China...my oldest would have been freakin' out. The little one would've been thinking "Cool!"

Nature Girl said...

they are freaky aren't they? the first time I felt one I thought the guys outside doing construction hit our house with a bulldozer, I went out to yell at them but they were nowhere in sight then I realized...earthquake. kinda freaked me out..
Stacie

Ben said...

Welcome to Cali, wait until you get a real jolt. You'll see the pavement rippling (no shit) which I've always thought was pretty cool. I saw that happen in LA years ago down Ocean Blvd in Santa Monica.

Cheers